If you are in a long distance relationship, you know how difficult it can be to stay connected. There was a time when Austin and I lived apart for 9 months. If only we had access to the technology of today, it wouldn’t have been as hard!
I put together some fun ideas of how you can stay connected, no matter the distance between you.
What I love about the Couple App, is that it is designed to be shared between you and one other person. When you get a notification from the app, then you know right away that it is from the one you love.
One of the reasons I like this app for couples that are in a long distance relationship, is because of the thumbkiss feature. When one of you initiates a thumb kiss, it allows you to “feel” the other person. Matching up your fingerprints causes your phone to buzz, signifying you touched one another.
The app also allows you to draw together. There is a feature that lets you open a canvas. Both of you are able to draw on the same canvas with one another.
Within this app, you are able to create calendar events that are important to you both. This is a great way to share your schedule with one another.
Share an Online Journal
Journalling is a fun way to remember your feelings and emotions in the moment. With an online private journal like Journalate, you both can share the journal. Just create an account and share the login information with one another. This will give you both something fun to look back on together as time goes on.
Love Quiz App
I thought this was a fun getting to know you app. The Love Quiz takes you through different scenarios and you guess what you think the other person will do. It will show you both how well you know one another, as well as help you get to know the other person better.
For example, one of the quiz questions asks-
At a restaurant you tell her:
- Don’t look at the prices sweety, take the lobster if you feel like it
- Don’t look at the prices sweety, take the Big Mac if you like it
- I forgot my wallet again
With these types of scenarios, you can know what to expect from the other person. It would make for some great discussions.
Even though you are miles apart, you can still eat together. Just pull up your video messaging service of choice and sit down together. If you are super talented, you could both cook the same meal together. It can add to the experience to cook a meal while video chatting.
We are huge advocates of conversation starters, which is why we have created so many products for couples. When you ask intentional questions, great discussions take place that bind your hearts closer together. Check out the 20 questions I put together for your next date night.
Words With Friends is one of the online games that I used to play with Austin. I also had a chance to play this game with other friends. It was a lot of fun, because it allowed us to take our turn whenever we had a few minutes.
Ice Breaker Games
If you would rather play games face to face, there are several you can do over video chat. Some ideas might be-
- 2 Truths and a lie- you tell two things that are true about you and one thing that is a lie. The other person has to guess which one they think is the lie.
- I’ve never- both of you need a drink like water or tea, in front of you. One person will say something that they have done before, and if the other person hasn’t done that activity, they will take a drink.
- Would you rather- in this game, you ask the other person to chose between two horrible actions. For example- would you rather be poked in the eye or stabbed in the gut?
Simple games like these can teach you a lot about a person.
Send a Date Night Package
Put together a date night box that you mail to the other person. Have them wait to open it until you are both together on video chat. Whatever you have sent them in the box will be what you do for the night.
Some ideas for your date night box can include:
- Movie- if you would rather stream the movie, just write down the title of the movie you want to watch together. Be prepared to have the same movie on your side so that you can watch it at the same time. Keep your video chat open so that you can still interact.
- Book- chose a book or devotional that you both can enjoy. Have a copy of the same book for yourself. Take turns reading selections of the book to one another.
- Snacks- ahead of time, find out what their favorite snacks are and pick a few up. I don’t suggest mailing chocolate or fresh goodies, but most other things will work well.
- Clothing- if you feel confident enough, you can buy an outfit or article of clothing for them to wear during the date. Otherwise, you might send them something of yours to put on.
- Love letter- don’t forget to include a handwritten love note.
Spray the box with your favorite cologne or perfume that you like to wear.
These are some of the ideas that I came up with. If you are in a long distance relationship and have something you would like to add, feel free to in the comments section.
*I use affiliate links